About Me

My photo
Wife of one. Mother of two. Sister of three. Just trying to get it all figured out before it's too late!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Growing Old(er)

I didn't think I'd mind growing older, and for a while, I didn't.  I was prepared for the crow's feet around the eyes, the little laugh lines around the mouth, the age-spots on the hands, the grey in the hair.....  As these things began to gently change my appearance, I embraced them.  I felt they gave me a touch of dignity, an air of maturity that encouraged respect and maybe even admiration for a life well lived.

What I had not considered, and what horrifies me, are some of the other signs of aging: the hairs that suddenly one day decide to grow on one's chin, neck, and even cheeks; the flabby, loose skin under the upper arms; the tiny skin flaps that can appear in various places; the sagging, drooping skin around one's neck; the moles; the embarrassing noises one's stomach starts to make as it digests even the simplest of foods.......  Of course, I knew that lots of old women had these things; but I just assumed they'd been born that way.  I didn't quite realize that one could become hideous over time.  Oh!  the injustice!

And these are just the things that I can mention without totally embarrassing the reader.  There are more.  Many, many more!  (I haven't even touched on the aches and pains and loss of physical ability!)  If you are older, you know what I'm talking about.  And if you are younger, then I don't want to scare you lest you stop enjoying the pleasures of youth in anticipation of the horrors of old-age.

As we age, however, nature gifts us with some tools to help deal with these changes.  For example, our close-up eyesight dims, making it difficult to see the extent of the hideous damage to our faces; our memory comes and goes so that often times we don't even remember if we ought to be embarrassed; and we seem to care less and less about our physical appearance than we did when we were younger.  These things are all blessings!

And we do become wiser.  Which is a mixed blessing.  Because now we are able to analyze with clarity the stupid and impetuous behavior of our youth; the decisions born of ignorance and emotion.  If only old-age came with a giant eraser, there are so many things I would erase out of my past.  Thank god I am wiser now and will no longer be engaging in such embarrassing behavior. 

I am only at the beginning of this final journey.  With any luck, it will be a long journey and by the time I reach my destination, I hope to arrive with the aged wisdom of a buddha, even if I must end up looking like a withered turnip.

3 comments:

  1. Are you the author of this? Or am I? Can't remember. You are too young to have experienced some of these changes, but if you wrote it, our writing is very similar. Except I think one grows better looking...or different looking in a wonderful way. Did you write this, or did I? One's loss of memory as one ages is not addressed, and this development can make one look stupid as he/she pauses to remember where they were headed or what they were going to do when they got there!!! Did you write this or did I? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loss of memory was mentioned in paragraph four and I didn't write about anything I haven't experienced first hand! I left the really embarrassing stuff out (like what happens when I sneeze or cough.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame on you for revealing the secrets of our elite society!

    Ancestor across town

    ReplyDelete