About Me

My photo
Wife of one. Mother of two. Sister of three. Just trying to get it all figured out before it's too late!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The beginning.....

One and a half days into the new year, and approximately 17,335 days into my life; the first makes me feel hopeful, the second panics me! I'm proud of the way I spent the first day of the New Year; I ate healthy, started yoga, and made plans for the rest of my life. I've spent the second day recovering, so to speak, from the first day. I started the year off with a new recipe. The recipe was for a root vegetable soup and I found it in a cookbook called everyday Greens by Annie Somerville. It was delicious! Here's my edited version:

Ingredients
8 c. stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
3 fennel bulbs, trimmed, halved, and cored
1 large celery root peeled, quartered, and sliced
3 small bay leaves
1 T olive oil
1 T butter
3 small or 2 large leeks, white parts only, cut in half lengthwise sliced and washed
1 T minced garlic
1/2 t fennel seeds, toasted and ground
1/2 c dry white wine
1/3 c heavy cream
shredded swiss cheese (Gruyere is even better)

Method:
Dice enough of the potatoes and fennel to make 1 cup each and set aside. Slice remaining potatoes and fennel and place in large pot along with celery root and 6 cups of stock. Add bay leaf, s & p to taste and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender (about 30 minutes). Remove bay leaves and puree quickly in a blender or pass through a food mill. (Be careful not to over process or the potatoes will turn the mixture gummy)

In the meantime, heat oil and butter in large saute pan and saute leeks until soft, about 3 minutes. Ad garlic and ground fennel, cook for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and cook until nearly dry (about 3 minutes).

Add the diced potatoes and fennel and remaining stock. Simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender (about 8 minutes). Add to the potato-celery root puree. Add the cream and season to taste with s & p.

Serve hot garnished with some shredded cheese.

Oh my! Sounds so good.... I think I'm going to have to go heat up a bowl for my own slurping pleasure right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment