About Me

My photo
Wife of one. Mother of two. Sister of three. Just trying to get it all figured out before it's too late!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Why I would fire my music history professor

Last night, on my way home from pottery class, I heard this amazing orchestral piece on the radio. The first thing I heard upon starting up my car was an unfamiliar piano piece that sounded like Chopin. I'm always so pleased with myself when I can correctly identify the composer of an unfamiliar piece just by hearing a few bars of music and, of course, I readily credit my amazing music history professor for this. This definitely was Chopin.


But then..... much to my surprise, the orchestra came in. What???!!! An orchestra? Chopin never wrote anything for orchestra! I must be mistaken. Completely baffled, I continued listening all through the first movement. When the second movement came along, I was convinced I was hearing hints of Chopin nocturnes. Whoever wrote this piano concerto must have been inspired by Chopin.  By the third movement, I was incredulous at the audacity of this Chopin copycat because now, it seemed a Mazurka was blaring out of my car speakers!

Although I had reached my destination by the beginning of the third movement, I stayed in my car until the end of the piece. I had to know who the composer was! At the end of the piece, the announcer said, "that was Chopin's piano concerto no. 2 played by........."

I was stunned! Although I would never presume to call myself a pianist, I do "play at" the piano and Chopin is one of my favorite composers for that instrument. I had NO IDEA he had composed not one, but  apparently TWO piano concertos. This embarrassing and grievous gap in my musical knowledge must be the fault of my music history professor, who never shared this information with me!

For Shame!!!

4 comments:

  1. I never knew he wrote piano concertos either.... incredible!

    Last week I pulled out a Chopin piano book and began to work on several pieces I used to play quite well. Then Kevin has been working on another of Chopin's pieces in C sharp minor that we all fell in love with from the movie "The Pianist". Must be a Chopin time of month:) Oh wait, it's the full moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard that too. Chopin was featured on the radio this week because it's the anniversary of his death at age 39. And earlier this year his 200th birthday. All of Chopin's works involve the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.....I'm telling Dr. Leach, I'm telling Dr. Leach......how funny! Your responses to everything are quite entertaining. <3

    ReplyDelete